When Good People Do Nothing....

Last week I did something I have never done before. I wrote a letter to the President of the United States. Now, I don't expect to get a response but somehow just the act of doing it made me feel a little better.

What caused me to do this? I am so perturbed by the 1099 reporting requirement that was hidden in the Health Care Law. Not only have I now written to the President, I have also written twice to my state's elected representatives. A couple of them responded. One response was written in typical "legislator non-speak". He's an attorney so I would have been suprised if he stated a clear opinion.

But I will continue to do what I can even if it is just write letters, make blog posts, tweet relevant articles, and tell everyone I know to do the same. I'm proud of what the Tea Party has done to get attention regarding how angry small town America is with what is happening to our country.

I am sharing a copy of the letter I wrote to the President. May it inspire you to take action too. "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil (or tyranny) is for good people to do nothing". [quote attributed to Edmund Burke, English philospher]


"Dear Mr. President:
I am writing to ask for your support of the complete removal of the 1099 issue from the health care law. As a business broker and former banker, I can tell you this will unduly burden business owners for no benefit.

I know that you believe business owners are "hiding" income and that this will provide a windfall to pay for healthcare. This is Voodoo Math.

Business owners struggle every day just to make it. Many are liquidating their businesses or simply closing the doors and filing bankruptcy.

Please review history. The country did not get out of the doldrums in the past by deficit spending or increasing taxes. We got out because taxes were reduced which encouraged job growth by the private sector. Government is to serve the people - government is not to "create jobs". You are penalizing the very people who you think you are helping.

Overall, I think the health care law is very bad policy. I also didn't like the way it was rushed through without proper study.

You don't know how tough it is to start and operate a business. If the business owners in this country had known what was in the health care bill when it was being rushed through, they would have risen up and said "no way" as we are doing now.

The only way to get the country out of the situation we are in is to 1) cut taxes (so businesses will have the ability to grow and hire) 2) eliminate unnecessary paperwork on businesses and 3) stop using Keynesian economics. It has never worked before. It won't work now.

The politics of your party have me so concerned that I worry about the future of our country. We need you to change course now. Listen to the people that make this country work. Stop listening to politicians and think tank gurus who have never been in business.

And please stop blaming "rich people". They are rich for a reason - they built or produced something of value. They took a big risk to become successful and most don't get rich the first time. I suggest that you read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to get a sense of how outraged business owners are at this time.

Thank you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Lowering Loan Rates Won't Boost SBA Loans

How to Increase the Odds of Selling Your Business

What's Goodwill Got to Do With It?